Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year, A New Page



It’s the New Year, and for the first time I have felt the real weight of a whole year. So much has happened in one short year. It's surprising how much a person can change (and what a sentimental sissy they can become), and for the first time, I am looking forward to a new year. But I suppose it's all useless if we don't learn something along the way. So here’s what I learned this year.

I learned how to make this neat (as in cool, funky, interesting; definitely not meticulous, precise or clean) firework origami by Yami Yamaguchi. This is a very cool model because it changes shapes. It’s not big, fiery or bright against the night sky, but it doesn’t wake the neighbors.


 

 


You will, of course, excuse the rough and tattered edges.

I thought we’d kick off the New Year with something new on this blog, so here’s my first ever video to show off the shape-shifting abilities of this model! Hopefully, there will be more to come and a tutorial next time.



 
Here is a tutorial for making this model. 


I also learned a few lessons this year that I hope I’ll remember.

If you’re mad at someone, don’t start the year being angry. You might not know what’s in store for you this year, but a good way to start is with good intentions and an open heart.

Make your resolutions realistic, so instead of saying “I will be more patient and less hot-headed”, say “I’ll learn origami this year to help me relax.”

Don’t take anything personally, unless it’s a complement. And don’t take anything seriously, unless it’s about food, J. R. R. Tolkien or origami.

Don’t be resentful, and don’t get too wound up about things because it’s never really worth it when you look around and there’s a friendly face staring back at you, and you realize that nothing else matters.

So enough romantic mumbo jumbo and sentimental Metallica songs. Here’s hoping that wherever you are, you’re spending the New Year with someone you love.


Happy 2013!


















The numbers above are adapted from this person's origami numbers. The number zero is my own hasty variation. I did not like how they did it, however, so I changed the method somewhat. I might make my own tutorial sometime, as I have not found any tutorials I liked.


No comments:

Post a Comment