Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Origami Second Lesson

Origami is not just a pastime for me; it has taught me many things besides making cool shapes with paper. Being a disciple of Fold and Learn, I firmly believe that lessons can be drawn from just about anything that happens in everyday life, so why not something as beautiful and complex as origami?

I tried to show the kids this in our second lesson. I hope the message went through. This time we learned about team work. A cliché, I know, but for kids, it's very important. It teaches them not to be selfish and self-centered, to be more tolerant and accepting. So enough with the moralizing. Here's what we did.

This eight-pointed modular ninja star is a very repetitive model. It requires 8 identical units and some assembly. Each of us made two units and put them all together. This is a fun model because it opens into a disc-shape.


The model open

The model closed








Check out my tutorial on how to make this model. Some of my friends thought it looks like Xena's chakram when it is open.



We also made these simple foxes, and the kids had fun drawing funny faces on them. Mine is the less interesting one on the far right. They got pretty creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment